Monday 24 November 2008

Straight on the plane

I mentioned that my experience with Emirates was mostly good. It was my first ever flight, and the fact that the luggage got delayed in Dubai was perhaps balanced by the fact that they didn't charge us for quite a bit of excess baggage! Apart from that, it was definitely good.

Now I'm having quite a new experience - I'm about to board a plane without a passport or any checked-in luggage. My only previous "domestic" flight was from Beijing to Shanghai with plenty of fuss at both ends. Mind you, this first one within Australia is longer than the flight from London to Geneva, which was the last time my flight was paid for by "work".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try Swiss air. On 4 occasions, my baggage never arrived. Damm them.

Emirates has been good for me so far but nothing spectacular about their service though to be rated as the best.

Anonymous said...

My experience has never been good with Emirates,each time the luggage was lost and arrived late and on three occasions the locks were broken and expensive items were stolen. We have stopped using Emirates.

Jonathan said...

On the way back, one person wouldn't go to the gate proper untill she had seen her luggage loaded on the plane... It was quite nice for me to not have to wait for any baggage at the end of the flight.

But I left Melbourne with suny skies and a cracking thunderstorm, coming back to an overcast Sydney. Something's the wrong way round!

David Barry said...

Hi Jonathan. Just saw your comment on Kartikeya's blog with the link to the MCC's umpiring manual. Thankyou very much for that, I'd heard about this mystical document but hadn't managed to find it before.

David Barry said...

And now I see that it's linked to on the main Laws of Cricket page. Well don't I feel stupid now...?

Jonathan said...

Hi David,

Don't feel too stupid - I'm not sure the document has been actually online for that long. At least, I hadn't noticed it online until recently.

What sort of physics do you work in?

David Barry said...

I'm doing simulations of Bose gases (and I did some stuff on the Ising model) using phase space methods, which give systems of stochastic DE's. I should really update my profile - I've transferred down to Masters and will be getting out of academia to become a geostatistician next year.